The Assistant Protection Officer (SGBV/Child) reports directly to the Protection Officer or the Senior Protection Officer at the Sub Office level. The incumbent works closely with the MFTs, field, programme and other members of the team to create a multi sectoral SGBV prevention, mitigation and response mechanisms, since SGBV and Child Protection remain key protection concerns. S/he will be required to lead and strengthen coordination with partners, government authorities and persons of concern. The incumbent will contribute to the development of SGBV and Child Protection action plans and SOPs, capacity building for a range of stakeholders including partners, government officials and persons of concern. The incumbent will further contribute to reviewing current SGBV and Child Protection prevention, mitigation and response programmes and also provide guidance to senior management in designing an SGBV strategy that fits within the broader Protection and Solutions Strategy framework and links with Community Based Protection and AGD policy.
- Multi sectoral SGBV and CP interventions/ programmes are designed based on needs and capacity assessment results.
- SGBV needs assessment and safety audits are conducted with refugees in urban areas and refugee villages.
- SGBV and CP mainstreaming efforts are supported in line with the UNHCR Global SGBV Mainstreaming Action Plan and Policy.
- SGBV and CP activities are guided by the Country Protection and Solutions Strategy and UNHCR on Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD).
- SGBV and CP coordination mechanisms function with all relevant stakeholders including partners, UN agencies and government line Ministries.
- The country operation’s capacity building plan includes a child protection component, vulnerable SGBV community and national protection capacities are improved through direct engagement, research and advocacy with all relevant external interlocutors.
- SGBV and Child Protection survivors are safely identified and provided necessary specialised services in line with the survivor – centred – approach.
- Multi sectoral action plan is prepared in consultation with partners that follow the overall SGBV prevention, mitigation and response strategy.
- Act as the SGBV and CP focal point in the sub office and coordinate implementation of SGBV and CP programmes for persons of concern.
- Stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection of women and children.
- Support the office to conduct regular monitoring, needs/gaps and capacity assessments on SGBV and Child Protection in close coordination with any on-going joint/common assessments being conducted during all phases of country operations cycle.
- Provide technical support and operational guidance to partners to ensure effective mainstreaming, prevention and response programmes in line with the global strategy and policies.
- Ensure enhance capacity for SGBV and CP data collection and information management systems across the operation. Ensure monthly reporting on SGBV trends and analysis to inform programming, policy and project development
- Establish and strengthen strategic and innovative partnerships with key UN agencies and government line ministries for SGBV and Child Protection with a focus on sustainability.
- Support capacity building training for partners and government officials on SGBV and Child protection on response and designing programmes and coordination mechanisms.
- Advocate with senior management in UNHCR and other humanitarian actors across all sectors, to ensure prioritization of SGBV prevention mitigation and response as well as Child Protection programmes
- Liaise with Ministry of Social Welfare/ Gender Department and the other UN agencies to shape coordination of interventions.
- Support the integration SGBV risk, prevention, mitigation and response into the role of UNHCR staff from all functional units.
- Provide support in mapping of existing services to address SGBV in various communities including identifying community capacities to effectively identify survivors and support prevention and promote gender equality.
- Advocate with Senior Management within UNHCR and partners to ensure prioritisation of child protection interventions and SGBV prevention, mitigation and response.
- Monitor SGBV and CP programmes implemented through partners and ensure effective reporting as well as adjust programming as required.
- Contribute to identification of durable solutions for SGBV survivors and victims of child abuse.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Intervene with authorities on SGBV and Child Protection issues.
- Enforce implementation of good quality response programmes for protection of women and children in line with the survivor – centred approach and Best Interest Assessment and Procedures for protection of Children.
- Enforce compliance of staff and implementing partners with global protection policies and standards of professional integrity in the delivery of protection services.
- Enforce compliance with SGBV and Child Protection policies as well as global guidelines, and standard operating procedures.
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Manging Resources
- Analytical Thinking
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- Planning and Organizing
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Law, International Law, and Gender studies, Child Protection and political Sciences or related field plus.
- Minimum 1 year of previous work experience relevant to the function. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) may also be accepted.
- Excellent knowledge of English.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Previous experience working with Afghan refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR in Pakistan.
- Designing trainings and good facilitation skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of SGBV and CP IMS databases as well as progress V4.
- Experience in working directly with children, adolescents and youth.
- Knowledge of local languages including Pashto.