- This employer is no longer accepting CVs for this job, it has been deactivated by the company's administrator.
Laboratory Assistant (Polio Virus Laboratory)
Health & Medicine
Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS) ( First Shift (Day) )
Islamabad Capital Territrory
Certificate in “Medical Laboratory Technician”
LICA-5 (equivalent to GS-5)
1 Year(Experience in virology laboratory with discernible experience in virus isolation using in-vitro cell culture isolation system.)
Under the overall supervision of the WHO Representative, the incumbent is expected to undertake the following duties at the WHO Regional Reference Laboratory for the Polio Eradication Initiative, Department of Virology, National Institute of Health, Islamabad:
- Isolation and typing of poliovirus and non-polio enterovirus from stool specimens and environmental sewage water samples
- Enter all records of Acute Flaccid Paralysis (AFP) cases and environmental samples into the central data base at Regional Reference Laboratory on the basis of investigation forms received from districts of Pakistan and Afghanistan.
- Responsible for keeping a weekly back-up copy of all electronic data relating to AFP cases and environmental sewage water samples.
- Pinpoint problems in the laboratory database and share it with Federal Surveillance cell and program partners to resolve the data discrepancies.
- Prepare and send reports on the results of poliovirus testing on weekly basis to National EPI, Surveillance units and WHO-EMRO
- Undertake other relevant duties as directed by the supervisor and/or WR
· Higher Secondary School Certificate (Intermediate) from a recognized institute
· Certificate in “Medical Laboratory Technician”
· A minimum of 5 years of work experience in virology laboratory with discernable experience in virus isolation using in-vitro cell culture isolation system.
· Demonstrable skills in maintenance of cell lines for virus growth
· Capable of proper application and use of general laboratory equipment.
· Practical knowledge and expertise in laboratory data record and maintenance.