Organizational Location and Background
UNFPA Pakistan is implementing its Ninth Country Programme (2018-2022) in the country. The goal of the Ninth Country Programme is that “By 2022, increased number of women exercising their rights to make informed decisions and choices over their fertility, enabling a demographic transition in Pakistan.” This will be achieved through four outcomes and five outputs. Key focus areas will be family planning, skilled birth attendance, humanitarian and development nexus, gender equality and gender based violence, youth-centered initiatives, and population and development interlinkages and population survey/researches. Key strategies to achieve this goal will be UNFPA’s partnership building/convening role, advocacy/policy dialogue, knowledge management and capacity development.
The current Country Programme aims to enable UNFPA to; i) strengthen its advocacy and convening role for integration of population dynamics into the broader development agenda as defined in the Vision 2025 and SDG targets; ii) support policy and legislative reforms to promote and enhance the fulfilment of rights of women and young people; and iii) generate knowledge and strengthen capacities and systems of government to respond to sexual and reproductive health and rights priorities.
To realize the commitments of UNFPA with the Government of Pakistan and with the provincial government of Sindh, UNFPA Sindh has signed a work plan to provide technical and financial assistance to the Office of Director General Services Sindh with the aim to reduce the gap in the coverage of family planning services, particularly through the structure and health force under Department of Health. The interventions will include coordinating regularly the meetings of Reproductive Health Working Group meetings, capacity building of Lady Health Workers on Family Planning task sharing such as first doze of injectable contraceptives and training of Women Medical Officers on Postpartum Family Planning (PP FP). Additional support of personnel (Program Coordinator) for effective implementation of the work plan deliverables will be provided to DGHSS office Hyderabad.
The Programme Coordinator is intended to facilitate the Director General Health Services Sindh (DGHSS), Department of Health-Sindh, in timely and effective implementation of UNFPA-DGHSS Workplan 2019. The incumbent will play a leadership role in managing the workplan, efficiently executing the agreed interventions in the workplan and reporting and documenting progress of the workplan activities, in collaboration with relevant stakeholders.
The consultant having position of Programme Coordinator (PC) is intended to provide assistance in the management, administration and coordination for implementation of Annual Workplan 2019 signed by UNFPA with DGHSS.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities of the Programme Coordinator:
The Programme Coordinator provides support to the DGHSS and UNFPA Sindh Office, establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with counterparts in government, multi-lateral and bi-lateral agencies and civil society to address emerging issues related to RH and FP and to facilitate implementation of the recommendations provided in due course of time.
He/ She will participate in provincial fora such as the FP2020, RH Working groups and other related working groups and represent and provide inputs and update on the Status of implementation of the recommendations.
1. Provide technical, administrative and secretariat support to DGHSS Sindh including but not limited to provide support to convening of various activities planned in the AWP, coordination the implementation of its decisions, report on progress and prepare working papers for the meeting.
2. Coordinate all activities relating to the financial aspects of the implementation of the above-mentioned Annual Work Plan.
3. Provide assistance to DoH to coordinate with relevant provincial government departments, International and national development Partners (IDPS), private sector and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) for reporting on the implementation of the RH and FP activities as per AWP 2019.
4. Support the DGHS Sindh in preparing briefs, PowerPoint presentations, regularly update and working papers for various meetings.
5. Provide monitoring support for DGHS Sindh as and when needed within in province.
6. Perform any other task specific to implementation of Work plan as required by Director DGHS and UNFPA Sindh Office.
- The Programme Coordinator will report to Director DGHSS and Head of UNFPA Sindh Office
· Master’s degree in public health, management or social sciences.
Knowledge and Experience
· At least 5-7 years’ professional experience preferably in programme/project management in the public or private sector. UN experience in programme/project management is an asset.
· Experience in communications and public relations. Working experience with the Private and Public along UN system will be considered an asset.
· Experience of population program, at provincial level and understanding of latest development will be an added advantage.
· A thorough understanding of the public system in general, and especially population and health mandate, policies and operations, as well as the current development and political context in Pakistan;
· Excellent presentation, written communications and editing skills in English;
· Excellent knowledge of the IT inclusive of applications, Microsoft office, mechanics of the social media, digitization is essential.
· Advocacy/Advancing a policy oriented agenda
· Results-based programme development and management
· Innovation and marketing of new approaches
· Values: Integrity/Commitment to mandate, Knowledge sharing/Continuous learning, Valuing diversity
· Managing Relationships: Working in teams, Communicating information and ideas, Conflict and self-management
· Working with people: Empowerment/Developing people/Performance management
· Personal Leadership and Effectiveness: Strategic and analytical thinking, Results orientation/Commitment to excellence, Appropriate and transparent decision making
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Urdu is essential. Understanding of Sindhi will be an added advantage.