- This employer is no longer accepting CVs for this job, it has been deactivated by the company's administrator.
Laboratory Specialist/Molecular Biologist
Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS) ( First Shift (Day) )
Post graduate qualifications (M.Phil) in Microbiology/Molecular biology. PhD Degree in Microbiology/molecular biology is desirable.
LICA-8 (equivalent to NO-A)
2 Years(Please refer to job description section for more details on required experience.)
In close coordination with Counry Office National Professional Officer (Public Health Laboratory) and the Head of office Baluchistan, the individual will perform the following duties:
- Support management of laboratory operations in COVID-19 testing labs in Quetta including direct supervision of the technical lab staff performing COVID19 testing
- Provide Quality control review for all tests performed at FJ Hospital COVID19 lab and ensure timely reporting of verified results
- Conduct detailed laboratory capacity assessments using the WHO LAT assessment tool for COVID19 testing labs in Baluchistan
- Conduct training needs assessment of Lab staff and coordinate with WHO and Department for training of laboratory staff in FJ Chest and General Hospital, Bolan Medical Complex Hospital and Sheikh Zayed Hospitals Quetta in coordination with WHO assigned lab staff. Develop training plan and conduct trainings for lab staff
- Support implementation of standard operating procedures and information management systems for COVID-19 and biosafety / laboratory quality guidelines
- Coordinate with WHO and Baluchistan Government in laboratory related aspects of COVID-19 response
- Management in coordination with local surveillance/Public Health staff as required
- Coordinate with Department of Health, Team Leads/ focal persons, laboratory focal points at WHO Country Office
Required experience: At least 2-3 years’ experience in Molecular Biology/ Virology. Experience in performing Real time PCR for infectious diseases and COVID19 is mandatory. At least 1-year experience in public sector/Government Organizations and previous work experience with WHO, other UN organizations or international organizations will be an asset.
- Understanding of lab biosafety levels, equipment requirements, Human Resource management and Quality Assurance in Lab
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of molecular biology, with specific reference to Real time PCR for COVID-19 and interpretation/analysis of PCR run data.
- Proven skills in the development and implementation of laboratory testing plans and projects
- Experience with development of lab-based surveillance, diagnostic algorithms, analysing data and reporting
- Strong professional skills in development of daily reports, and updates for sharing with WCO and NIH
- Experience in molecular detection including nucleic acid extraction and PCR assays for HCV, HBV, Dengue, COVID-19 or TB etc on semi-automated or fully automated platforms
- Experience with lab information management system (LIMS) and other reporting systems
Duration of assginement: 06 months.