The UNODC Country Office for Pakistan (COPAK) is tasked with assisting Pakistan through its recently developed Country Programme II (2017-19, with a focus on needs related to illicit trafficking and border management, criminal justice and drug demand reduction and HIV/AIDS. Under the Country Programme II, Sub-Programme II requires the provision of support to all LEAs within the criminal justice chain in line with national priorities and international best practices.
In order to develop the Government of Pakistan’s capacities and to react in a strategic manner, UNODC Pakistan requires the services of a Programme Manager – Rule of Law (RoL) to be based in Quetta, Balochistan with experience in programme planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
The objective of the assignment is to manage the position UNODC in Balochistan and support the implementation of the different components related to criminal justice, legal reform and anti-corruption in Balochistan in line with UNDOC’s COPAK CPII, SPII mandate and stakeholders priorities.
The Programme Officer - RoL will be required to work closely with the respective provincial authorities and departments.
Under the direct supervision of the UNODC Criminal Justice Advisor based at Pakistan UNODC Office in Islamabad, the Programme Officer - RoL will render all the necessary assistance in the planning, implementation, and delivery of provincial level programme activities related to Rule of Law in Balochistan. The incumbent will work in close coordination and collaboration with SPII Programme Officer (Police, Prosecution and Judiciary, Prisons and Anti-Corruption), partner institutions, Criminal Justice Actors, Parliamentarians, civil society and other stakeholders in Pakistan to successfully implement the UNODC led projects and programmes as follows:
Ensure successful and timely project implementation of Rule of Law initiatives in Balochistan:
1. Conducting sectoral analysis, institutional assessment, stakeholders management and risk management analysis when required;
2. Contribute to strategic planning and provision of full range of technical advice regarding programme development, programme management and implementation assistance at all phases of relevant initiatives under SPII;
3. In coordination with the relevant component Programme Officer based in Islamabad, coordinate and organize all SPII and RoL Balochistan related activities including the identification, organization and confirmation of technical events and Multi-stakeholders consultations, trainings and official dialogues in collaboration with relevant institutions and all the strategic aspects of programme planning for timely delivery of high-quality and cost efficient project outputs;
4. Render assistance in mobilizing goods and services and other project inputs, including the preparation of specifications for required good and services and ToRs for expert consultants, meetings, training programmes and workshops;
5. Provide high quality analysis and draft presentations of information/data on specific project and related topics; highlight noteworthy issues/trends for consideration by stakeholders;
6. Ensure the integrity of financial systems, review budget requirements of the programme and the office and ensure consistent application of rules and regulations in cooperation with the Programme Assistant and Programme Management Associate;
7. Establish a financial tracking system and Provide financial expenditure reports;
8. Maintain updated data and information on UNODC programmes and activities as well as on activities of other multilateral and bilateral stakeholders for a variety of internal and external purposes (e.g. donors’ requirements);
9. Provide advisory support to the Advisor, Criminal Justice;
10. Alert the Advisor, Criminal Justice of any challenges/bottlenecks and propose mitigation strategies;
11. Provide guidance and supervise the Programme Assistant based in Quetta towards effective and efficient delivery.
Maintain partnerships for project implementation with implementing partners focusing on the achievement of the following results:
1. Position UNODC’s mandate and identify opportunities for new engagements in Balochistan;
2. Initiate and maintain partnerships with government institutions, private sector, political leaders/parliamentarians, civil society and other stakeholders in Balochistan to contribute to the achievement of programme results;
3. Carry out extensive liaison with all stakeholders’ agencies for the identification, planning and timely delivery of programme activities meeting the needs of Balochistan partner agencies and ensuring maximum impact in the area of Rule of Law and criminal justice;
4. Provision of technical services to UNODC supported working groups, meetings and other activities including the preparation and circulation of briefs, agenda notes to members/participants; compilation of background documentation; drafting of minutes; monitoring of follow-up actions;
5. Encourages stakeholder buy-in and ownership in the implementation of programme activities;
6. Organize and provide necessary training as requested.
Participate in effective results-based project management focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of projects in Balochistan, achieving the following results:
1. Effective support to the preparation of annual project work plan and quarterly work plans for implementation in consultation with stakeholders;
2. Effective support to various planning instruments such as internal work plans; assistance on reporting requirements, guidelines, rules and procedures and ensuring completeness and accuracy of data submitted;
3. Compile data on project implementation such as details of participants, gender segregation, and agencies represented for all trainings, meetings, and workshops;
4. Compile and prepare necessary documentation of project activities including outcome documents, strategic documentation, and other supporting documents;
5. Assist in the effective monitoring of projects performance and timely production of results oriented draft progress reports in line with UNODC’s regulations and donor agreements;
6. Establish a database to register statistics and data related to capacity building of the different portfolio components;
7. Document good practices and lessons learned related to the different components under SPII;
8. Document success stories related to the different components under SPII;
9. Contribute to the enhancement of UNODC/SPII visibility through the development and production of different materials and also through the use of social media;
10. Facilitate consultations with donors, relevant government agencies and other stakeholders for the start-up of new UNODC supported rule of law initiatives in Balochistan; Facilitate effective response to any requests from the Government of Pakistan, UN agencies, and other relevant institutions regarding UNODC programming in Pakistan;
11. Perform other duties as required by the Advisor, Criminal Justice.
Qualification and Experience
a. A professional, holding a Master’s degree in Business Administration, Law, Social or Political Science, International Relations or other relevant academic fields, plus a minimum of 1 year of relevant professional work experience with the criminal justice system or affiliated Government ministries and agencies as well as programme management
b. Capacity to devise, set-up and manage training programmes
c. Ability to produce concise reports and presentations
d. Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Urdu
e. Strong coordination skills
f. Ability to work under pressure and to meet tight deadlines
g. Experience working with United Nations and/or International Organizations preferred.
h. Solid knowledge of MS office tools (Word, Excel) with advanced knowledge of Power point.
a. Planning and organizing
b. Team work
e. Client orientation
Generating deliverables will require the Programme Officer- Rule of Law in Balochistan to be based in Quetta and will report to the Criminal Justice Sub-programme Advisor based in Islamabad. The incumbent will interact with the relevant stakeholders, agencies and partners.
Planning and Implementation Arrangements
The Programme Officer will be based in Quetta and work closely with the Sub-Programme II Programme Officers, support staff, and the relevant COPAK units.
Payment Schedule and Rate
The Programme Officer will be issued an SC contract in accordance with United Nations rules and procedures. Payment scale will be determined by UNDP recommended rates for service contract holders. Travel costs including transportation and DSA for domestic and international travel will be paid by UNODC in accordance with United Nations rules and procedures.
HEC Attested degrees are a prerequisite for employment at UNDP. During the recruitment process candidates may be required to present HEC attested degrees.
Foreign Qualified Candidates: Foreign degree holders shall be required to (i) Present a verification/certification letter from the university verifying the degree & student enrollment, or (ii) Foreign degree Equivalence Letter from HEC.
UNDP provides the Equal Opportunity for all equally qualified male & female including the physically challenged candidates, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply’’ (local and internal VA)
“United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) does not charge fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interviews, selection or induction etc. Moreover, UNDP does not concern itself with any information on the applicants’ bank accounts.”