The Agenda 2030 based on a set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and tackle climate change challenges is underpinned by a strong commitment to ‘eave no one behind and to reach the furthest behind first. It recognizes the multi-dimensional nature of poverty and inequality and provides a framework that comprehensively addresses all dimensions of well-being.
In October 2015 the Government of Pakistan launched the SDGs in Pakistan and formally adopted them through a unanimous resolution passed in National Assembly to adopt the 2030 Agenda as a National Development Agenda. In order to take forward the implementation of 2030 Agenda, UNDP Pakistan, the Planning Commission and Provincial Planning and Development Departments have launched a national initiative on SDGs focusing on the following four outputs:
Plans, policies and resource allocation aligned to 2030 Agenda
Monitoring, reporting and evaluation capacities strengthened
Innovative approaches applied to accelerate progress on priority SDGs
Financing flows aligned to 2030 Agenda
Under the project, SDG Support Units are being established at federal level in Planning Commission and with all the provinces and regions in the Planning & Development Departments. The Sindh SDG Support Unit is operational and providing support to Sindh Government on the aforementioned outputs. To strengthen the advisory work, a Social Policy Analyst is being hired to support the SDG Unit and P&DD in providing policy support using economic analysis and other tools to strengthen the advisory and planning work of the SDG Unit.
Functions / Key Results Expected
Under the direct supervision of Project Manager, Social Policy Analyst will advise and support project team & P&DD on development priorities and trends to guide government interventions on SDG. S/he will analyse social development of Sindh and work closely with Government counterparts to identify alternative social and development policy options and enhance the policy impact of UNDP project.
• Provide advice and support to project staff, and senior officials of UNDP and Government focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support compilation, analysis and interpretation of social development trends using secondary data and statistical analysis;
- Engage in thorough research of the social and development issues in the country and production of relevant reports aimed at promoting inclusive growth and human development;
- Support provision of top quality analysis and substantive inputs to project, background research and other strategic documents;
- Selection of strategic research topics, surveys and/or case studies;
- Identify latest research, policy issues, and on-going national and international level policy dialogue that can add value to the project outputs and initiate corresponding activities of valuable contributions.
• Provide advice and support to Government counterparts and facilitate knowledge building focusing on achievement of the following results;
- Facilitation of policy dialogue on social development issues with Government, donors, civil society, and private sector;
- Contribution to development of policies, briefs, concept notes and presentations, as relevant;
- Sound contributions to knowledge management and communities of practice through identification of best practices and lessons learned;
- Support training and capacity building support for Project and Government officials on social and human development issues.
• Assist in the building of strategic partnerships focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist production of periodic updates and briefs on country development situation to be used by stakeholders
- Undertaking of selected studies/research on emerging development concerns that feed into government/development partners processes.
- Policy advocacy for the Sustainable Development Goals, Human Development and pro-poor and equitable sustainable development by participating in relevant forums, conferences and trainings;
- Support to monitoring progress and formulation of strategies towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Support to establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linked to international networks. Relevant, high-impact advocacy campaigns implementation with key partners;
- Assist in development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, think tanks and civil society based on strategic goals of UNDP and government strategies particularly in relation to the SDGs.
• Provide technical support and guidance to project staff, and Sindh Government in implementing activities for SDGs localization
- Coordinate with UNDP and Other SDG Support Units at federal and provincial/regional level to share ideas, practices and implementation of similar ideas;
- Provide constructive inputs in context of social development in Sindh and the initiatives required to implement SDGs;
- Undertake extensive research and coordinate with relevant government institutions to identify means to increase funding for SDGs;
- Provide support in implementing initiatives to strengthen the monitoring & reporting mechanism for SDGs
Impact of Results
The key results of the post strengthen UNDPs contributions to the national policy dialogue and enhance the policy impact of UNDP project. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design of programmes, and creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets. The post increases visibility of UNDP in the discussion about economic and development policies and analysis
Responsibility & Direction:
• Serves and promotes the vision, mission, values, and strategic goals of UNDP.
• Promotes a learning and knowledge sharing environment;
• Facilitates the development of individual and multi-cultural/team competencies.
Managing for Results:
• Plans and prioritizes work activities to meet desired results;
• Strategic approach to problem solving.
• Partnering & Networking:
• Builds and sustains relationships with key constituents (internal/external/ bilateral/ multilateral/public/private; civil society);
• Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices
• Demonstrates ability to handle working relationships with senior officials, academics and technical experts.
Innovation & Judgment:
• Conceptualizes and analyzes problems to identify key issues, underlying problems, and how they relate;
• Generates creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations;
• Devises new systems and processes, and modifies existing ones, to support innovative behaviors.
• Demonstrates outstanding communication skills, verbal and written, in English.
Job Knowledge & Expertise:
• Applies the required depth and breadth of knowledge and expertise to meet job demands;
• Possesses extensive knowledge of economic development issues and familiarity with major macro-economic policy issues and models and the SDGs;
• Capable of applying economic theory to the specific country context;
• Demonstrates strong quantitative skills and the ability to carry out high quality economic research, including statistical analysis
• Possesses proven ability to analyze from a global perspective, with the ability to offer practical policy advice on economic issues based on local realities;
• Uses Information Technology effectively as a tool and resource
Master’s Degree in Public Policy, International Development, Sustainable Development, Development Policy or in a related discipline.
• At least 03 years of relevant experience after Master Degree at the national or international level;
• Substantial experience in social development and poverty reduction strategies in developing country contexts. Awareness of SDGs related policy matters and aid effectiveness issues;
• Extensive experience in research and policy-level analysis, including in formulation, monitoring and evaluation of strategies and development programmes/projects;
• Demonstrated experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced programmes for statistical analysis of data.
Excellent knowledge of English, and working knowledge of Urdu an asset.
HEC attested degrees are a prerequisite for employment at UNDP. During the recruitment process, candidates may be required to present HEC attested degrees.Foreign Qualified Candidates: Foreign degree holders shall be required to (i) Present a verification/certification letter from the university verifying the degree & student enrollment, or (ii) Foreign degree Equivalence Letter from HEC.
UNDP provides the Equal Opportunity for all equally qualified male & female including the physically challenged candidates, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply (local and internal VA)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) does not charge fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interviews, selection or induction etc. Moreover, UNDP does not concern itself with any information on the applicants bank accounts