The Culture program of UNESCO Islamabad is based on the priorities of the culture sector of Pakistan and the culture team works closely with relevant stakeholders including civil society, local NGO’ and academia to provide support the Government in the protection and promotion of cultural heritage.
Context of the AICS project and status
UNESCO Convention on World Heritage asks for giving heritage a function in the lives of people and enhance the role of community in management and protection of heritage sites. There is an increased recognition of the need for local community involvement specifically youth, in the conservation and preservation of their cultural and natural heritage. The future of Pakistan’s remaining heritage will depend largely on the decisions and actions of the present generation of young people who will soon become the leaders and decision-makers of tomorrow. Recognizing these facts, UNESCO Islamabad with the support of Government of Italy is implementing a project focusing on engaging the community and school going youth in safeguarding cultural heritage. UNESCO Islamabad plans to achieve this through capacity building of teachers, engaging the community living closers to heritage sites, general awareness raising through social and electronic media and developing liaison between the community and Provincial Directorates of Archaeology.
Pakistan has already signed sustainable development goals (SDGs) and the most relevant to the proposed intervention are the targets 4.7 and 11.4. The target 4.7 emphasizes, “all learners acquire knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development through education ……… and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development”. Target 11.4 specifically focuses on the protection cultural heritage, “Strengthen efforts to protect and safeguard the world’s cultural and natural heritage.”
B) OVERALL GOAL AND KEY RESULTS EXPECTED:
The project officer will work closely with the culture team in the overall implementation of the culture program, and specifically be responsible for the implementation of the heritage component of AICS funded project.
He/she will be expected to:
1. Manage the implementation of the overall project.
2. Create strategic partnerships as required and ensure effective management of the project focusing on quality control and efficient use of resources.
3. Perform as a good team player, both within the culture team as well as between other sectors of UNESCO office.
4. Contribute to other Culture projects where required.
C) DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the overall authority and supervision of the Country Representative /Director UNESCO Office in Islamabad and close supervision of the head Culture section, the incumbent will contribute to the implementation and coordination of all the activities carried out under the Heritage Component of the AICs funded project, “Support to Girls’ Right to Education and Safeguarding Cultural Heritage through Education in Pakistan”. In particular, the incumbent will:
1. Provide technical and administrative support in the implementation of the Heritage component of the project “Support to Girls’ Right to Education and Safeguarding Cultural Heritage through Education in Pakistan”
2. Identify and engage appropriate partner organization and experts for the implementation of the said project and draft their TORs.
3. Work closely with the partners responsible for the implementation of activities to monitor the progress and ensure the timely delivery of the assignments as per agreed contract.
4. Working closely with partners to monitor the progress and ensure timely delivery of the assignments.
5. Provide feedback and contribute to resource, promotional and advocacy material developed under the project. Guide partners in organizing events and relevant workshops, advise/contribute to the programme/agenda and list of participants and ensure that relevant stakeholders, beneficiaries and community members are engaged in the project activities.
6. Advise on developing and disseminating the content for social and electronic media for awareness raising of youth and general public on safeguarding cultural heritage.
7. Undertake monitoring missions to the field to review the project progress in situ or attend any other relevant meetings and workshops.
8. Contribute and prepare the projects reports (and power-point presentations) as per agreement for submission to the donor and represent UNESCO in the progress review meetings.
9. Build, maintain and enhance working relations with the concerned national/local authorities, cultural institutions, relevant government and non-governmental organizations.
10. Perform any other duty assigned by the Director of the office.
D) REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS
Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of culture, Anthropology, heritage management or relevant social sciences.
Minimum of 2 year of relevant professional experience of working with community and youth preferably in the field of culture and heritage safeguarding and designing, managing and implementing relevant programmes/projects.
Solid drafting skills in English
A good knowledge of protection of cultural heritage and relevant stakeholders specifically in relation to engaging communities and youths, good understanding of UNESCO’s cultural conventions.
Demonstrated ability to engage youths, undertake community dialogue, and create links with community based organizations, as well as capacity to build and maintain working relations with national/local authorities, cultural institutions and relevant intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations.
Strong analytical, problem solving skills, and excellent interpersonal, communication skills (oral and written) skills.
Experience in project management and reporting is required. Should be willing to travel.