If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
For every child, save lives
Purpose of the Position
Under the guidance and general supervision of the CSD Specialist; and with secondary reporting to the Chief, Health (P5) at Islamabad for overall technical supervision, Health Specialist supports the development and preparation of the health program/s and is responsible for managing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and reporting of program progress of a sector of the health (e.g. nutrition, gender, maternal, neonatal, child survival/development) program/s within the country program. The Specialist provides technical guidance and management support throughout the programming processes to facilitate the administration and achievement of concrete and sustainable results according to plans, allocation, results based-management approaches and methodology (RBM) and organizational Strategic Plans and goals, standards of performance and accountability framework, in Balochistan.
1. Support to program development and planning
- Support/contribute to the preparation/design and conduct/update of situation analysis on health to establish a strategic plan for development, design and management of health related programs in Balochistan and keep abreast of development trends to enhance program management, efficiency and delivery.
- Participate in strategic provincial and federal program discussion on the planning of health program, to formulate, design and prepare a sector of the health program proposal, ensuring alignment with the overall UNICEFs Strategic Plan and Country Program and coherence/integration with UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDF), regional strategies and national priorities, plans and competencies.
- Support/contribute to the establishment specific program goals, objectives and strategies and implementation plans based on results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM) and prepare required documentations for program review and approval
- Work closely and collaboratively with provincial internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss/identify strategies and implementation methodologies that would ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results on health in Balochistan.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes and to ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of health programs/projects with other UNICEF programs and achievement of results as planned and allocated in respect in Balochistan
2. Program management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Plan and/or collaborate with Balochistan provincial internal and external partners to establish monitoring benchmarks, performance indicators and other UNICEF/UN system indicators and measurement to assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results for the assigned sector in health programs in Balochistan.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action/interventions to achieve results.
- Prepare/assess provincial monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in program and management, identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals in Balochistan
- Actively monitor programs/projects through field visits, surveys and/or exchange of information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
- Monitor and verify the optimum/appropriate use of sectoral program resources (financial, administrative and other assets) confirming compliance with organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity and ensuring timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
- Prepare regular/mandated program/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of program progress.
3. Technical and operational support to program implementation
- Provide technical guidance and operational support to Balochistan provincial government counterparts I/NGO partners and UN system partners on interpretation, application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices and approaches on health and related issues to support program development planning, management, implementation and delivery of results.
- Participate in discussions with provincial partners/clients/stakeholders to promote health and development issues especially in the areas of gender, emergency preparedness and maternal, neonatal and child survival and development.
- Draft and or provide inputs for policy papers, briefs and other provincial strategic program materials for management use, information and/or consideration.
- Participate in emergency preparedness initiatives, program development and contingency planning and/or to respond to emergencies in Balochistan.
4. Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with provincial government health sector counterparts, stakeholders and partners/allies/donors/academia through active networking, advocacy and effective communication to build capacity and exchange knowledge/expertise to facilitate the achievement of program goals on children rights and social justice/equity, in area of designationBalochistan
- Draft/pprepare communication and information materials for provincial program advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for health programs (maternal, neonatal and child survival and development).
- Participate and/or represent UNICEF in appropriate provincial inter-agency discussions and planning on health and related issues to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UN DaO planning and preparation of health programs/projects ensuring organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the provincial process in development planning and agenda setting.
5. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Apply/introduce innovative approaches and good practice to build the capacity of partners and stakeholders and to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable health program results.
- Keep abreast and conduct research to provide evidence for implementation of best and cutting edge practices in health.
- Assess, institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge learned.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programs and projects.
- Organize and implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of provincial clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results on health related programs/projects.
An Advanced University Degree in public health/nutrition, pediatric health, family health, health research, global/international health, health policy and/or management, environmental health sciences, biostatistics, socio-medical, health education, epidemiology or other health related science is required.
A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in public health/nutrition planning and management and/or in relevant areas of maternal and neonatal health care, health emergency/humanitarian preparedness, at the international level some of which preferably in a developing country is required. Relevant experience in health/nutrition program/project development and management in any UN system agency or organization is an asset.
Fluency in English and the main local language is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or other local languages is an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication (II)
- Working with people (II)
- Drive for results (II)
- Leading and supervising (I)
- Formulating strategies and concepts (II)
- Analyzing (III)
- Relating and networking (II)
- Deciding and Initiating action (II)
- Applying technical expertise (III)
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Interested in finding out more?
You will have a rewarding experience working with a dynamic, diverse and committed staff who are making a difference in saving lives and building a better future for Every Child in Pakistan.
To know more about UNICEFs work in Pakistan, visit the country website www.unicef.org/pakistan
Videos from Pakistan can be viewed on YouTube and Vimeo
HEC Attested degrees are a pre-requisite for employment at UNICEF. During the recruitment process candidates may be required to present HEC attested degrees.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.