The Rule of Law Project aims to promote an enabling environment which will deepen the ongoing efforts to secure peace and stabilization. Under this project assistance will be provided for institutional development and capacity building to the Rule of Law institutions to ensure effective security services and speedy provision of justice services. The project will also work with the informal justice institutions so that dispute resolution is trusted, affordable, accessible, and viewed as fair by the local communities. In doing so, UNDP will engage with key stakeholders in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) including the Judiciary, Police, Local Government, prosecution, bar associations, jirgas, CSOs and ongoing (justice) initiatives, including ongoing UNDP programmes and projects. The activities and outputs under the project will enhance confidence and trust of the local communities into the Rule of Law institutions and result in improved law enforcement, speedy justice, including that of informal justice system. The project will help create forums for dialogue and develop a strategy for harmonization between communities, formal and informal Rule of Law institutions. One of major project is construction of Joint Police Training Center (JPTC-II) at Nowshera, KPK to be implemented by the Strengthening Rule of Law Programme (SRLP). The project involves major construction works including land development and construction of various buildings , roads and allied facilities.
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of key functions:
Under the guidance of the Operational Manager and Senior Field Engineer, the Project will provide high quality professional technical expertise to manage project implementation according to UNDP rules and procedures: Project Engineer will work under the overall supervision of Operational Manager-Rule of Law. His/her main job responsibilities include:
• Assist in quality implementation and monitoring of technical engineering and construction matters in accordance with the terms of contractors’ contracts, bills of quantities, technical specifications and project documents.
• Provide support in effective management of the project including progress monitoring and reporting, technical inspections, documentation of design change and variations in drawings and BOQs for approvals.
• Conduct field visits to provide technical inputs to selected construction firms and Implementing Partner to ensure quality and timely delivery according to approved specifications and work plan;
• Assist in developing regular monitoring and coordination system for approval and implementation of community infrastructure schemes according to approved BOQs, standards, drawings and specifications;
• Close coordination with project stakeholders to avoid publication of activities
• Ensure that ‘Material Source Qualification Approval Tests are done by Implementing Partners/ contractors for all selected infrastructure schemes in project area;
• Ensure that DRR and environmental concerns are addressed while rehabilitating the infrastructure schemes;
• Undertake assessment to identify & select of stakeholders’ infrastructure activities for rehabilitation/refurbishment. Prepare BoQs, drawings and designs of new identified facilities and completion of all necessary documentation and re-verification of selected facilities, if required.
• Assist Programme Manager to complete preliminary, technical and financial evaluation of CAP/RACP/ACP cases and provide technical input during the evaluation process;
• Documentation of all relevant activities (field trip reports, minutes of meetings, budgets etc.) in accordance with the organization’s guidelines and regulations.
• Preparing and maintaining data base of all infra-structure activities, sharing progress on weekly and monthly basis and relevant progress documentation
• Developing and properly maintaining change order form with the prior approval of management
• Any other relevant task assigned by the management
Impact of Results
Strengthening skill capacity of KP police to deliver better policing services.
• Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
• Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
• Self-development, initiative-taking
• Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
• Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
• Creating synergies through self-control
• Managing conflict
• Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
• Informed and transparent decision making
Skills and Experience Required
• Demonstrated experience in procurement in a large private, public sector or international organization.
• Proven ability to perform to the highest levels of integrity and honesty.
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
• Highly developed inter personal, communication and negotiation skills.
• Good written skills.
• Good computer skills.
• Attention to detail.
• Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
• Knowledge of UNDP procurement policies, rules and regulations is desirable.
Education: Bachelor degree in civil engineering or related field in from a recognized institution with experience of 2 years from a recognized institution
Experience: The candidate should have two years of experience in implementing and managing infrastructure projects. Experience working within the UN system, preferably in an operational UN Agency will be an asset. Excellent management and IT/computer skills are essential. The candidate should have ability to meet deadlines and work accurately.
UNDP provides the Equal Opportunity for all equally qualified male & female including the physically challenged candidates, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply’’ (local
and internal VA)''
“United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) does not charge fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interviews, selection or induction etc. Moreover,
UNDP does not concern itself with any information on the applicants’ bank accounts.
HEC attested degrees are a prerequisite for employment at UNDP. During the recruitment process candidates will be required to present HEC attested degrees.
Foreign Qualified Candidates: Foreign degree holders shall be required to: (i) Present a verification/certification letter from the university verifying the degree & student
enrollment, or ii) Foreign degree Equivalence Letter from HEC.