If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
For every child, a future
Purpose of the Assignment
Global Warming and Carbon emissions have evolved as a major threat to the environment.
In June 2015, the Executive Director issued a decision memo on the UNICEF Climate Neutral Strategy to cut down on the organizational carbon footprint and improve accessibility to UNICEF premises. The strategy is a response to the UN Secretary -Generals memo that urges all UN agencies to report annually on their carbon footprint and become climate neutral by 2020. For this purpose technical expertise of a candidate with engineering background is needed to help reduce/eliminate reasons contributing towards carbon emissions and help acquire climate neutrality.
With the emerging of installation of solar systems for various partners through the different Programme sections, there is an increasing requirement to get an expert to provide the necessary technical support
To make a difference, you will be accountable for the following tasks and deliverables:
- Coordinate with supply colleagues to establish the contracts for pilot project installation of solar panels in Islamabad office and replacement of LED lights in the office in support of the greening the blue initiative in UNICEF
- Manage the installation of the solar panels and LED lights in the Islamabad office with the selected contractor(s)
- Coordinating with other four provincial offices to roll out the installation of solar panels and replacement of LED lights with the conventional bulbs
- Act as a focal point for UNICEF Environmental Footprint Assessment to provide regular reports to management as required, update in the system on the initiatives achieved including further recommendations to be implemented
- Regularly monitor the installed solar panels including the provincial offices and ensure regular maintenance is carried out
- Prepare standard operating procedures for regular maintenance of solar panels to ensure proper continuation of the exercise throughout the solar panels useful life
- Research and propose other greening initiatives to management to be implemented in the country office in contribution to the reduction in the carbon footprint
- Prepare terms of reference and technical advice for solar installation projects in support of various Programme implementation whenever required
- Work with supply section to complete the evaluation of proposals and prepare for the CRC meetings to seek approval for the requests from Programme sections for solar installation
- Supervision and contract administration of the various solar installation projects, including vendors evaluation performance and follow up for any troubleshooting required after the installation is completed
- In coordination with the various vendors, prepare a basic user manual and basic trouble shooting tips to be shared by all relevant staff where solar systems are installed
- If required conduct orientation sessions for the end users on the use of the above manual
- Provide relevant technical support and supervision for Programme sections that could be undertaking related projects that may require the consultants expertise
- Prepare a project close out report for all solar projects that shall be undertaken including lessons learned etc.
- Contracts established
Solar panels and LED lights installed in UNICEF Islamabad office including training of relevant staff on basic maintenance procedures
Solar panels installed in all UNICEF four provincial offices and LED lights installed in all offices as required as well as staff in those locations trained on basic maintenance procedures
Provide monthly update reports and recommendations to management for implementation on greening initiatives in the country office
Coordinate regular maintenance of installed solar panels in all the offices every two months and submit reports
Maintenance SOP prepared and shared to all relevant maintenance staff
Prepare report on possible initiatives, their cost reductions and benefits in reduction of the carbon footprint.
Terms of references prepared for various Programme sections according to their requirements
Technical evaluation completed and CRC documents prepared for review by the committee as required
Report of completed projects with the relevant vendor performance evaluations
User manual prepared to be shared to all end users for future guidance and reference
Provide proof of having conducted orientation sessions for the various end users including a detailed mission report with photographic evidence
Provide a report of what other related projects he / she has provide support to with relevant approval from the section chiefs / field offices
- Projects close out report with lessons learned signed by the chief of supply and Chief of operations
Estimated Duration of Contract:
5 Months, starting August 2017
Anticipated Travel Itinerary
The consultant is expected to visit each of the field offices where solar installation shall be undertaken at least twice during the contract period.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Masters in Electrical Engineering and Certified in Management Sciences
Years of relevant experience
- Minimum 8 years professional experience
- Ability work with minimal supervision
- Good analytical, negotiation, communication and advocacy skills Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Willingness to travel and work under difficult conditions
- Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications
- Previous experience with UN System is an asset
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Ability to prioritize multiple concurrent initiatives and priorities
- Ability to work with people at all levels
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural system
- Client-service driven
- Very good writing and communication skills
Interested in finding out more?
You will have a rewarding experience working with a dynamic, diverse and committed staff who are making a difference in saving lives and building a better future for Every Child in Pakistan.
To know more about UNICEFs work in Pakistan, visit the country website www.unicef.org/pakistan
Videos from Pakistan can be viewed on YouTube and Vimeo
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.