UNWOMEN is committed to facilitate Government of Pakistan in institutionalizing gender equality and promoting womens empowerment in its work through innovative and catalytic programming. UNWOMENs work is guided by the Beijing Platform for Action (BPFA), Convention of the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) and the frameworks provided by the Millennium Declaration and the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). UNWOMEN strategy in Pakistan is about strengthening the capacity of government, non governmental and UN system to deliver on gender equality commitments by ensuring that voices of women and human rights based approaches are integrated fully in the development agenda of the country.
Since 2008, UN WOMEN has been engaging and partnering with provincial WDDs and/or SW&WDDs to enhance their positioning within the provincial set ups and better deliver around womens empowerment. The 18th amendment passed in 2012 was a defining moment and clearly indicated the role of the provinces in implementation and setting priorities and way forward. The focus of UNW work in the provinces is therefore even timelier and requires expert and dedicated strategic guidance and support. The senior advisor is expected to follow up with each province including AJK and G&B on gender strategic plans/policies and implementation arrangements with WDDS and political leadership. The position is required for the period between May and November 2012.
Under the supervision of the Country Programme Director and Programme Specialist, Governance and WHR, the main tasks will include
- Follow up to strategy development for all the provincial WDDs ( 5 provinces plus AJK and GB) linked to UN Women capacity development strategy and SP
*KP and FATA April 15 days (trips + follow up + drafting)
*AJK implementation strategy 15 days
*Sindh 20 days
*G&B 20 days
*Baluchistan 15 days
*Punjab 20 days
*Others - 20
- Updated MOUs with each province with work plan/strategic plan/policy
- Advisory to teams in Peshawar and Quetta and Islamabad level
- Regular contact with WDDs across country by phone and email
- Regular follow up and updating of capacity assessment exercise for the WDDs and baseline monitoring
- Support and advice to Country Programme Director and UNW Team
- Regular induction and guidance to Gender Advisors in the provinces
- Missions in provinces and regions as required
- Guidance and support to follow up to CEDAW Committees
Key deliverables will include
- Signed action plan/strategy for each province/region
- Signed MoU UNW and provincial government
- Updated capacity assessment 2011/2012
- Training and capacity building sessions
Experience and Core Competencies
A Masters degree or equivalent in fields related to gender and Development, community development, humanitarian response and/or other relevant areas of study.
10 - 15 years of practical field experience in managing gender/right based livelihoods, advocacy programs in Pakistan
Strong management skills including personnel management and program management, including at least 10 years of program management experience and supervision of personnel
Good Experience in working with ministry.
sound experience of working in collaboration with GoP ministries
Experience in working closely with local NGOs and communities to develop interventions desired.
Experience and ability to work in insecure environments and under pressure
Proven analytical and planning skills and the ability to think strategically
Experience in writing reports.
Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team
Diplomacy, tact and negotiating skills
The ability to travel at short notice and work in difficult circumstances
Commitment to humanitarian principles and action