- This employer is no longer accepting CVs for this job, it has been deactivated by the company's administrator.
Disaster Risk Management Officer
Agriculture and Food Security
National Project Personnel (NPP) ( firstshift )
Graduate /Equivalent professional qualification in DRM, Agriculture, Natural Resources Management or relevant field
Middle Level Professional
Under the general supervision of the Senior Emergency and Rehabilitation Coordinator and direct supervision of the National DRM Advisor, the incumbent will undertake the following as part of the FAO programmes in Pakistan:
Operationalize DRR and DRM concepts/approachesin the context of FAO Country Framework (CPF) and United Nations DevelopmentAssistance Framework (UNDAF);
- Provide inputs to the One-UN DRM programme forits effective implementation with special focus on agriculture and foodsecurity;
- Implement the FAO component of the One Un DRMwork plan related to the provinces in close consultation with the relevantline departments and PDMA staff;
- Collect secondary as well as primary data forthe formulation of Hazard Livelihood and Vulnerability Baseline andContingency Plan (HLVs) for the NDMA/PDMA recommended districts;
- Analyze the data and prepare draft HLVs forfurther submission to FAO Islamabad;
- Assist disaster prone communities inpreparation of community based Disaster Response Plans by utilizinginformation from the HLVs;
- Provide training to the PDMAs, linedepartments, and Civil Society Organizations on disaster risk preparednessand reduction;
- Organize awareness raising events for the keystakeholders on the key hazards and coping mechanisms with special focuson agriculture-based livelihoods and food security;
- Initiate small-scale pilot preparedness andmitigation measures to enhance the resilience of the population at riskand its further adaptation and up-scaling in similar situation;
- Identify potential DRR/DRM activities relatedto the natural hazards including flood, cyclone, earthquake and drought andtheir impacts on agriculture-based livelihoods of the vulnerable farmingcommunities and prepare concept notes and project proposals for medium-and longer-term DRM programme by integrate these potential activities;
- Provide required support in undertakingdisaster related surveys and studies to identify the pattern and trendsfor DRM
- Provide inputs for the proposed FAO-DRM websitein the form of situational reports, case studies and best DRM practices;
- Build capacity of the PDMA, the related linedepartment for mainstreaming DRR concepts and approaches in departmentalworking;
- Any other relevant task assigned by thesupervisor.
Qualification and Experience
Graduate/Equivalent professional qualification in DRM, Agriculture, Natural Resources Management or relevant field;
Minimum of eight years experience in Disaster Risk Management, Agriculture, or Natural Resources Management;
Preference will be given to a candidates having practical experience in implementation of disaster risk management programmes in agriculture and food security;
Familiarity and knowledge of working with the development community, UN agencies, donors, NGOs and other players in the development sector in Pakistan and possessing knowledge and experience of participatory project management approaches will be an asset;
Experience in training would be an advantage;
Computer skills in MS Office applications including Excel, Word and Outlook.
Good written and communication skills, analytical capacity, and fluency in written and spoken English are essential.
Analytical skills, particularly from a multidisciplinary perspective, with the ability to integrate multi-disciplinary knowledge;
Solid understanding of DRM concepts and approaches with focus on agriculture and food security preferably;
Ability to conduct DRM oriented research and writing of technical reports, papers and documents;
Ability to plan, organize and report;
Strong inter-personal communication and coordination skills essential;
Demonstrated ability to work under high pressure conditions and meet deadlines.
Duration of Assignment
Six months, with possibility of further extension. Initial three months will be probationary period.