PURPOSE OF THE POST
Under the guidance of the Head of the Gender and Education Unit, and as part of the core team for the Gender in Education Policy Support Project (GEPSP), the Education Specialist Gender (Knowledge Promotion) will provide professional and administrative support to the Federal Ministry of Education (MoE) and the Provincial Departments of Education (DoE) to establish, update and widely disseminate, in an accessible manner to a wide range of non-specialist audiences including the general public, a comprehensive and accessible knowledge base on gender in education, to enhance gender analyses and gender-responsive policies and practices.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In collaboration with the MoE & DoE, and as part of the GEPSP core team, contributes to:
- Preparing country-wide, evidence based, periodic analyses of the situation related to gender and education, including issues, challenges, opportunities and required actions at federal, provincial and district levels;
- Developing and maintaining an inventory of existing research and documentation on gender in education, synthesizing available national and international research and experience, analyzing recommendations, and making this information available not only to policy and planning wings of the government departments as appropriate but also to a wide range of non-specialist audiences including the general public;
- Mapping principal past and current initiatives and activities within and beyond Pakistan, assessing their impact and lessons to be learned;
- Identifying gaps in existing knowledge and how these gaps can be addressed through research initiatives, surveys and reviews;
- Mobilizing technical and advisory resources to enhance governments capacity to establish, update and widely disseminate comprehensive and accessible knowledge in gender in education;
- Analyzing disaggregated data from various sources, and collating useful summaries, maps, charts, tables and presentations to continuously upgrade and disseminate the knowledge base on relevant gender indicators;
- Supporting gender resource centers and repositories of documents, and contributing to provincial and federal websites and district information centres;
- Keeping abreast of developments in Gender in Education at national and international levels, participating in programme workshops and consultations to be fully conversant with research findings, lessons learned and good practices, and ensuring meaningful dissemination of this knowledge.
Provides technical assistance to the Provincial DoE and the Gender and Education Teams (PGET) to:
- Ensure timely planning, development and submission of evidence-based proposals to the Technical Action Committee (TAC) for approval and follow-up;
- Ensure timely preparation of reports, publications and briefs;
- Develop Project Cooperation Agreements for gender in education initiatives, identify of technical specialists and draft terms of reference, and develop innovative and effective strategies to document and disseminate findings;
- Facilitating and actively participating in results-based field monitoring visits.
Develops professional and effective working relationships with the governments Ministry of Education (MoE) at the federal level and Departments of Education (DoE) at the provincial level, to support their efforts in meeting the challenges and pursuing effective strategies to achieve the planned results of the Gender in Education Policy Support Project (GEPSP).
Contributes to setting up and facilitation of management and coordination mechanisms to ensure the tripartite participation of MoE, DoE, and DFID in programme decision making. These would include:
- Periodic meetings of the Steering Committee and Technical and Action Committee, and their engagement with other ministries and departments (especially, Finance, Planning and Development, and Social Welfare and Special Education), research institutes, private institutions, civil society organizations, media, NGOs and other international agencies;
- Coordination meetings at the district, provincial and national levels for regular information sharing and discussion of policy reform recommendations based on lessons learned;
- Coordinated work-plans of DoE and MoE gender units, ensuring compliance with, and achievement of, specific assigned Project objectives;
- Regular progress reviews, based on timely preparation of progress and annual reports.
Supports national and provincial GEPSP teams to receive timely delivery of project supply and non-supply assistance, ensuring proper and timely compliance with Government and UNICEF procedures. Monitors delivery, quality and proper use of supplies through field visits. Liaises with PGET to ensure timely disbursement of funds and documentation of financial transactions.