PURPOSE OF THE POST:
Under the general guidance of the Chief, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health & Nutrition Programme, responsible for the systematic, planned and evidence-based design, management, execution, monitoring and evaluation of a process to promote positive and measurable behaviour and social change for Health and Nutrition interventions in the context of child survival and development and attainment of MDGs in Pakistan.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. In collaboration with relevant UNICEF sector, UNICEF Provincial Offices and Federal government programme officers, relevant health partners and civil society organization leads the development of Communication for Development strategies for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (MNCH) and Nutrition; and designs, manages and facilitates the implementation of Communication for Development programming aimed at changing preventive and curative health and nutrition attitudes, knowledge and behavior, targeting: (a) behaviour development/change among participant population groups at individual/household levels; (b) social mobilisation of community groups; (c) influencing decision makers, public health civil servants, private, civil society, media and researchers, and influential persons to support and implement actions that address barriers and bottlenecks and contribute to the fulfillment of children’s and women’s rights.
2. Identifies and manages formative research, monitoring, and evaluative studies relevant to the planned outputs and outcomes of the MNCH & Nutrition programme. Assesses, analyses data to design, adjust and improve communication activities. In collaboration with partners and relevant decision makers, organises and manages the formative research, development, pre-testing, production and programming of culturally-relevant messages, activities and communication materials to facilitate effective and efficient programme delivery and sustainable shifts in knowledge, attitudes and behaviour.
3. Provides technical support and builds capacity of UNICEF, other UN, government and civil society partners and service providers at Federal, Provincial, District, facility and community level for Communication for Development through both theoretical and practical learning experiences. Ensures UNICEF program staff and partners are fully oriented to the role and function of C4D as an integrated component of convergent, equity-focused programming, including Disaster Risk Reduction, humanitarian response and early recovery.
4. In collaboration with the External Relations, Advocacy and Communications Unit, develops and maintains partnerships (including Long Term Agreements and contracts) with national and provincial media, design, printing and publishing companies, government departments/sectors, formal and informal community leaders and other civil society organisations and organised groups, to orient them on MNCH & Nutrition programme goals and solicit and coordinate their involvement in the implementation of the country programme and MNCH & Nutrition-focused C4D activities. Orients and engages with selected media at national and provincial levels to facilitate a sustained and positive shift in public discourse about the health and health-related rights of women and children.
5. Participates in global, regional and national knowledge sharing groups and disseminates communication research findings, ensures exchanges of experience, innovative approaches and methods with all stakeholders, both development and humanitarian. Keeps self up to date and cutting-edge on best practices and theoretical evolution in the field, and applies new ideas and innovations to the C4D work for MNCH & Nutrition programme.
6. Participates productively in office meetings, work planning, monitoring, performance reviews and evaluations. Travels frequently to field sites along with colleagues from provincial UNICEF offices, to stay in close touch with what target population groups are thinking, feeling and doing that affects the health and well being of children and women, especially from the poorest, most deprived population groups. Writes C4D-relevant monitoring reports and meeting reports that are shared widely.
7. Participates productively in office committees and task forces to ensure smooth functioning of the office. Any other duties related to C4D for MNCH & Nutrition, as specified by the supervisor.