Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Pakistan
UNOPS Pakistan (Project Office) is part of the Bangladesh Multi Country Office in the Asia Region. UNOPS commenced operations in Pakistan in 1999 and significantly scaled activities up from 2005 onwards to support populations affected by and vulnerable to earthquakes. In 2010, UNOPS opened a permanent office in Islamabad to support the Government of Pakistan and other partners to undertake humanitarian and reconstruction services, following the most devastating flood in the nation’s history.
UNOPS Pakistan has been implementing projects in the areas of early recovery and reconstruction of community infrastructure, project management, monitoring and evaluation, community development, fund management, human resources management, procurement and infrastructure design and implementation.
Supported strategically by a regional operational hub and UNOPS headquarters in Copenhagen and within the overarching framework of the ONE UN Programme, UNOPS Pakistan continues to deliver projects across the country under its core delivery practices of sustainable infrastructure, sustainable procurement, and sustainable project management.
With a steady growth of the project portfolio in recent years and a new strategic direction, UNOPS in Pakistan is currently implementing projects in the following thematic areas: Green and Clean energy; Rule of Law; Health Procurement; and HR services.
Background Information - Job-specific
Under the direct supervision of the Finance Officer who reports to the Head of Support Services, the Finance Associate will provide financial and administrative support to the timely processing, recording, monitoring, and maintaining if financial transactions and accounts relating to payments and receipts in accordance with UNOPS’ financial rules, regulations, policies, and processes.
- Administration of budgets and cost-recovery system
Ensures administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation and modifications of budgets for projects,
- Presentation of researched information for planning and status of office’s/ project financial resources
- Provision of inputs for implementation of cost-saving and reduction strategies in consultation with the office/ project management.
- Preparation of cost sharing agreements, follow up on contributions within the office’s resource mobilization efforts
- Check and ensure monthly shared office cost allocated to respective projects on monthly basis
- Prepare budget monitoring report of project and update monthly finance dashboard
- Revise budget in coordination with PM and update in the system after approval from HQ
2. Accounting. Payments, Payroll
Accounting, Payments, Payroll functions focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for projects; preparation of all types of vouchers; Pay Cycle and payments execution.
- Proper receipting of goods, services, and establishment of accruals.
- Approval of vendors in Enterprise system (if a senior member of the Finance team).
- Global payrolls processing in Enterprise system.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, timely corrective actions on unposted voucher taken, including those with budget check errors, match exceptions and unapproved vouchers; transactions are correctly recorded and posted; payrolls are duly prepared and processed; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed
- Review of payment requests including supporting documents against the budgets and other procurement documents
- Timely accounts closure
- Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Timely corrective actions on erroneous data in Enterprise system. Preparation of financial reports as required.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for projects and follow-up with partners on contributions, deposits creation in Enterprise system and their application to pending items.
- Timely reimbursements, payments of costs by the Government
- Preparation of vouchers for projects.
- Support PM in project close outs operationally and financially in the system
For outside ERP systems:
Administer project advances, reconciliations, and replenishments, under authorized approvals as follows;
- Liaise with programme officers and conduct necessary project visits to obtain all certified documents evidencing the completion of an activity, incurring of expenditure and identity of the party/vendor;
- Verify and monitor the accuracy of the statements and work plan compliance to provide replenishment of seed funds
- Collect all certified supporting documents, signatures, names and other particulars of the beneficiaries in receipt claims / reimbursements;
- Undertake required recording of transactions
- Where authorized, replenish funds upon receipt of relevant original documents and other evidence, and performing a reconciliation of the figures, beneficiaries, work plan and budget;
- Ensure settlement of the balance of cash in hand.
- Support PMs to follow up some allocated admin activities with other departments
- Support PMs to manage project files on share drive related to finance and other sections
- Check outstanding POs of relevant projects and reconcile/terminate them on time
3. Office cash management
- Alternate to the supervising Finance Officer for timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Alternate to the Finance Officer for daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Enterprise system to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
- Timely and accurate preparation of bank reconciliations.
- Alternate to the supervising Finance Officer for timely preparation of monthly cash flow forecast for use by Operations Manager/ Finance Analyst.
- Liaison with clients to obtain estimate of their cash requirement.
- Initiation of bank transfers and deals in Enterprise system.
- Creation of bank transfers (replenishment), deals and bank reconciliation processing.
- Effecting of operational Advances after submission of the reconciliation and settlement of the previous advances.
4. Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Organize, facilitate and/or deliver training and learning initiatives for personnel on finance-related topics.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources.
- Contribute feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
- As Key Business User provides financial management support in the financial management module of Enterprise system to internal clients.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as a positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- CPA, first University Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent disciplines is desirable but not required.
- Relevant certification in financial management or accounting a distinct advantage.
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant working experience within the areas of finance, accounting, business administration or related field is required.
- Experience with financial management, using electronic systems, environment and are desired.
- Some experience in UN system organizations is desirable.
- Full knowledge of English language is essential
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Individual Contract Agreement (ICA)
- Contract level: Local ICA Support( L-ICA 6)
- Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.