1. Purpose of the Consultancy
The purpose of this assignment is to provide logistic and operational support to conduct a service availability and readiness assessment (SARA) survey in six selected districts in Pakistan
Universal Health Coverage (UHC) is based on the principle that all individuals and communities have equitable access to their needed health care, in good quality, without suffering financial hardship. UHC helps drive better health and development outcomes. Achieving UHC by 2030 has been endorsed as one of the Targets of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
Pakistan is progressively moving towards phased implementation of UHC Benefit Package of Pakistan (Essential Package of Health Services and Inter-sectoral interventions) that has included SRHR interventions.
The Government has undertaken various efforts to gather critical information that aim to fill the current knowledge gaps on SRHR related matters within the country. For example, a comprehensive service availability and readiness assessment (SARA) was conducted in ICT in 2020 as a baseline before implementation of the UHC benefit package on a pilot basis. Thereafter, SARA has been rolled out to 6 more districts (one in each Province and areas) and trainings for data collection are underway. Inorder to have baseline information through SARA for all 12 districts in phase I of the UHC benefit package implementation there is need to roll out this assessment to the remaining 6 priority districts.
The Ministry of National Health Services, Regulation & Coordination (MoNHSR&C) with the support of WHO, therefore, would like to roll out comprehensive Service Availability Readiness and Assessment (SARA) survey in the remaining 6 districts for phase I of the UHC benefit package implementation. Assessment of the availability of health facilities with regard to physical presence and functional presence, and facility readiness to provide health care services, mainly for essential services package including family planning and comprehensive abortion care, are important data sources for monitoring health system capacity to respond to population needs and monitoring health system performance over the years, in addition to providing up to date data and information for planning.
3.0 Objectives of the Assignment
- to provide logistic and operational support to conduct a service availability and readiness assessment (SARA) survey in six selected districts in Pakistan
4.0 Planned Timelines
Start date: 15th May 2021
End date: 31st October 2021
5.0 Work to be performed
The consultant (s)/ consulting firm is expected to liaise with the Ministry focal points on Health Systems Strengthening and SRHR, Technical Officer SRHR and National Programme Officer (NPO) Reproductive Maternal New-born Child Adolescent Health (RMNCAH) in the WCO, NPOs- RMNCAH in selected districts and other stakeholders in undertaking this task.
The consultant (s)/ consulting firm is expected to undertake the following:
· Liase and coordinate with the team providing technical support for SARA
· Prepare an inception report that provides detailed work plan for data collection in all provinces.
· Prepare for field activity along with identification and recruitment of data collection team for SARA survey in selected districts of Pakistan in line with assignment objectives.
· Arrange for logistics for data collector training
· Facilitate the training of data collectors in collaboration with the technical consultant
· Review data collection tools and coordinate pilot testing of the tools.
· Conduct Software cleaning based on the feedback from the pilot test.
· Collect data as per work plan.
· Transfer data to the identified server on daily basis.
i. Inception report with detailed work plan and data collection plan
ii. Logistics and operational report after data collection.
iii. Transfer of data collected to the designated server.
First Deliverable: Signing of contract (0% Payment)
Second Deliverable Final Inception report with detailed work plan by 20th May 2021 (30% Payment)
Third Deliverable Final Operations and Logistics report by 1st August 2021 (30% Payment)
Fourth Deliverable Transfer of all data collected for cleaning and analysis by 21st October 2021 (40 % Payment)
7.0 Technical Supervision
The selected Consultant/ consulting firm will work under the direct supervision of: Responsible Officer:
Technical Officer – SRHR and National Professional Officer -RMNCAH
WHO Representative / Head of Office
8.0 Specific requirements
Individual consultants: University degree in social sciences, with at least Master’s degree in Public Health, Reproductive Health, or Social Sciences and demonstrable knowledge of public health/ SRHR/ primary health care issues in Pakistan and survey methodology
Consultancy firms: Have a dedicated team of public health committed to this assignment with demonstrable knowledge of public health/ SRHR/ primary health care issues in Pakistan and survey methodology
- At least 5 years work experience in Public Health in Pakistan and experience of working with government.
- Conducted large scale population/ facility-based surveys in Pakistan
- Excellent interpersonal, oral communication, writing and documentation skills.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and to work effectively under pressure.
- Computer skills
- Fluent in English (reading, speaking and writing)
- Knowledge of local languages for effective communication at field level.
9.0 Place of assignment
The selected candidate/ Consulting firm will be based in Pakistan/ Islamabad and will have to travel to collect data in other provinces/ areas within Pakistan.