Under the overall supervision of the WHO Representative, the incumbent is expected to undertake the following duties at the WHO Regional Reference Laboratory for the Polio Eradication Initiative, Department of Virology, National Institute of Health, Islamabad:
- Isolation and confirmation of enterovirus including poliovirus in stool and environmental wastewater samples using cell culture and real-time PCR.
- Initiate the development and implementation of standardized quality control system at polio laboratory including contingency workplan for public health crisis such as disease outbreaks.
3.Support in implementation and management of Laboratory Information management system to keep the laboratory database system harmonized with the developments in global polio laboratory network management system (GPLNMS).
4. Preparation and submission of laboratory progress reports to National Emergency Operations Center for Polio, surveillance data units at national and regional levels, and GPLNMS as and when required.
5. Responsible for keeping a weekly back-up copy of all electronic data related to polio laboratory operations covering sample receiving, testing and reporting.
6. Undertake other relevant duties as directed by the polio laboratory director, coordinator and/or WR.
Essential Education and Professional Requirements:
· Secondary School Certificate from a recognized institute.
· A minimum of 5 years of work experience in a virology laboratory.
· BS Degree in Medical Laboratory Technology or M.Sc. Microbiology from a recognized institute.
· Professional experience on serology and molecular virology techniques including ELISA, PCR and sequencing.
· Training on laboratory quality management, biosafety, and biosecurity system.
Desired Professional Skills:
· Capable of proper application and use of IT programs including MS Office.
· Practical knowledge in data analysis and presentation.
· Good oral & writing knowledge of the English language.
· Report writing skills