- This employer is no longer accepting CVs for this job, it has been deactivated by the company's administrator.
Media and Communications Assistant
Fixed Term ( First Shift (Day) )
Islamabad Capital Territrory
Established in 1951, and operational in Pakistan since 1981, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, inter-governmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Over the years, IOM has expanded and affirmed its role as the leading Organization assisting the Government of Pakistan to ensure humane and orderly movement of people by devising practical solutions to shifting dynamics of migration, protecting, assisting and supporting vulnerable migrant populations, promoting international cooperation on migration issues and serving as a key source of advice on migration policy, research, data and practice.
IOM has specifically been supporting the Government of Pakistan to strengthen migration and border management in order to curb irregular migration from Pakistan, including organized crimes of Trafficking in Persons (TIP) and Smuggling of Migrants (SOM. Aligning priorities with the Federal Investigation Agency as outlined in its National Action Plan to Combat TIP and SOM (2021-25), IOM Pakistan intends to implement a range of activities relating to prevention and protection against these organized crimes. These activities will be delivered under four broad outcomes on enhancing capacities of border management officials deter irregular migration, increasing awareness of vulnerable populations on irregular migration, strengthening technical and infrastructural capacities of service delivery sector to provide protection and assistance and providing direct assistance to victims in partnership with local organizations.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, direct supervision of the Migration Management Programme Coordinator and in close coordination with the Senior Programme Manager, Media and Communications Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Support developing a media outreach plan for the project activities, including development of high- quality publications such as fact sheets, press briefing notes and content for the IOM Pakistan digital platforms/social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter), in close coordination with IOM’s mission, regional and global communication focal points.
- Identify and build relations with a network of media organizations and maintain these relations to increase project’s media profile; including support for media professionals capacity on the project topics.
- Assist in the development of communications materials, specifically to increase knowledge and awareness of vulnerable migrants and their families, focusing on migratory risks, to be used through different platforms such as social media, brochures, radio spots and short documentaries.
- Assist in implementation of KAP survey (pre- and post- assessment) to develop a solid understanding of existing knowledge, attitudes and intended practices towards migrant smuggling and human trafficking.
- Support organizing community-based awareness activities, taking into consideration needs of migrants’ women and particularly vulnerabilities of women to trafficking schemes.
- Work closely with the Federal Investigating Agency team’s communications unit to organize press briefings, training events, print media, content for radio broadcasting, and other communications-related activities.
- Support maintaining and updating the internal IOM Pakistan photo library, website and social media accounts, highlighting program activities; including reviewing social media indicators and define the appropriate strategies to improve them.
- Monitor international and local media (English and local languages) for mentions of IOM and stories related to IOM’s work in relation to its programmatic interventions.
- Assist in ensuring appropriate donor visibility in field locations where IOM is operating.
- Keep up to date with new trends, developments and opportunities in the digital space.
- Assist Migration Management Programme Coordinator and Project Development Officer in the development of donor reports and project proposals with respect to visibility and communication.
- Attend UN Communications Group (UNCG) meetings and participate in joint/One UN activities as required.
- Perform such other duties as required.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited academic institution, preferably communications, journalism, public relations, filmmaking, photography, or a related field, with at least 3 years of relevant work experience or;
- Additional studies or diplomas in Development Studies and Political Science is an advantage.
- Demonstrated skills in writing variety of products, e.g. Talking points, press briefs, notes, etc.
- Experience working in public relations, marketing or media.
- Experience in audio-visual products, digital communications and social media.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing the duties.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (word, adobe illustrator, publisher, excel and power point).
- Experience of working with UN agencies or other international organizations is an advantage.
- English and Urdu (Fluent)
- Working knowledge of other Regional Languages would be desirable (Pashto, Punjabi, Balochi etc.)
We would encourage Female candidates to apply.