Organizational Setting and Work Relationships:
The Interpreter Assistant is a member of the Protection team and is directly supervised by a senior member of the unit. The Interpreter Assistant is responsible for providing linguistic support to all operational activities. Most importantly, this includes providing daily interpretation during protection related interviews and at the protection inquiry window and to ensure efficient and accurate translations of documents submitted by persons of concern. Furthermore, the interpreter may also support with translations and/or interpretations in the voluntary repatriation process or in meetings with UNHCR counterparts, as or when required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interprets and/or translates from newspapers, written reports, magazines etc.;
- Interprets oral conversations, discussions and interviews especially with persons of concern to UNHCR
- Travels with international staff on their missions to the field for interpretation and other assistance, as needed;
- Ensure accuracy of terms and terminology used in the documents
- Arranges meetings, both internal and external, some involving high-ranking officials and takes minutes/notes;
- Ensure translation is written with style, correct grammar and spelling
- Complete the work within the agreed timeline and submit the final translation in both soft and hard copy.
- Meets official personnel at the airport and facilitates immigration and customs formalities;
- Responds to queries relating to the area of responsibility;
- Performs other duties as required
Education & Professional Work Experience:
Years of Experience / Degree Level
- Completion of High School Diploma with relevant experience in Humanitarian and related fields.
- Minimum 1 year relevant experience with High School Diploma; or Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Relevant Job Experience:
Experience in working with UNHCR Registration procedures
Fluency in English and excellent knowledge of Dari and Pashto (Local languages). This is an interpreter post and excellent knowledge of Pashto or Dari is required. Candidates without the required language skills will not be considered.
Candidates must meet the essential minimum requirements of the position. Candidates not citizens of the country must comply with all eligibility requirements for employment in line with the prevailing legislative prerequisites in the country.
IT-Computer Literacy. Ability to work with databases. Ability to operate phone systems. Experience in public relations, communications, or other similar public-facing employment is desirable.
Teamwork & Collaboration
Commitment to Continuous Learning
Client & Result Orientation
Planning and Organizing