- This employer is no longer accepting CVs for this job, it has been deactivated by the company's administrator.
| | Industry:
Contract ( First Shift (Day) )
Islamabad Capital Territrory
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE:
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM),technical supervision of Senior Emergency Coordinator and direct supervision of the Protection Officer, the incumbent will support the Humanitarian Recovery and Resilience Unit (HRRU) to lead the provision of legal advice and awareness to Afghan refugees and migrants and host communities in Pakistan, particularly on access to rights and legal services. Additionally, the incumbent will take lead, in coordination with the Protection Officer, on capacity building efforts internally in IOM and externally with partners and organizations. S/he will be expected to support the various teams of the HRRU and engage with other Units on areas of cooperation, as required.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Provide advice and guidance on legal frameworks in relation to rights of Afghan refugees and migrants in Pakistan, and keep up to date with relevant laws, procedures, and practices.
- Support the Protection Team with targeted legal advice on protection related cases, particularly on civil documentation, registration, legal assistance cases, unaccompanied minors etc., and connect cases with lawyers and with bar associations as required and follow-up on assistance provided.
- Work with field teams to undertake legal awareness sessions directly with migrants, refugees and host communities on civil documentation, and other legal concerns.
- Provide support to HRRU, as well as Afghan refugees and migrants with regards to national legal frameworks and policies and assist with protection cases, as needed, and required.
- Support other programs by developing legal awareness raising materials and tools.
- Work with the HRRU to provide technical legal support on housing, land, and property (HLP) issues, particularly on tenancy rights and protection from forced eviction.
- Lead on the development of awareness raising materials and sessions on legal issues and incorporate materials and sessions into various HRRU activities, namely community outreach, protection case management and legal aid.
- Provide technical support to the development of survey/assessment tools, whether the design of purpose-specific tools or as inputs to planned surveys (e.g. multi-sectorial assessments) from a legal and protection perspective.
- Keep abreast of the changing legal framework vis-à-vis Afghans migrants and refugees in Pakistan and prepare regular reports and background information as required, including specific information requested by IOM and other entities.
- Represent IOM in relevant working groups, in close coordination with the Protection Officer, including Protection WG, Child Protection and GBV sub-Working Groups, as needed.
- Support in the capacity building of IOM staff and partners on the legal framework in Pakistan, services available and common legal issues and advice amongst the population of concern.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in Law, Political or Social Sciences, or Social or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of professional experince; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience, preferably in the area of law.
- Experience in the field of migration, IDP and refugee assistance and protection (including specific knowledge of Human rights, GBV, Child Protection and Human Trafficking);
- Experience in emergency operations and liaison with other UN and non-UN humanitarian
- Understanding of complex social-political environments
- Knowledge of the Afghanistan crisis and its impact on the affected population. Working experience in the region is an asset
- Knowledge of the humanitarian architecture, especially in relation to protection (focus on internal displacement, child protection, gender-based violence, identity documentation, etc.).
- Legal background
- Good level of computer literacy.
- Fluency in Urdu and English required.
- Pashto, Dari, Sindhi, or Balochi.
IOM provides equal opportunity to all qualified female and male including the physically challenged candidates.