Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Pakistan
UNOPS Pakistan (Project Office) is part of the Bangladesh Multi Country Office in the Asia Region. UNOPS commenced operations in Pakistan in 1999 and significantly up-scaled activities from 2005 onwards to support populations affected by and vulnerable to earthquakes. In 2010, UNOPS opened a permanent office in Islamabad to support the Government of Pakistan and other partners to undertake humanitarian and reconstruction services, following the most devastating flood in the nation’s history.
UNOPS Pakistan has been implementing projects in the areas of early recovery and reconstruction of community infrastructure, project management,monitoring and evaluation, community development, fund management, human resources management, procurement and infrastructure design and implementation. Supported strategically by a regional operational hub and UNOPS headquarters in Copenhagen and within the overarching framework of the ONE UN Programme, UNOPS Pakistan continues to deliver projects across the country under its core delivery practices of sustainable infrastructure, sustainable procurement, and sustainable project management.
With a steady growth of the project portfolio in recent years and a new strategic direction, UNOPS Pakistan is looking to strengthen the relationships with existing partners as well as build new alliances and diversify the portfolio of work, in line with UNOPS strategic and Asia regional objectives.
Background Information - Job-specific
The project will contribute to addressing the lack of clean water in communities in Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) provinces through the upgrading of water-quality testing laboratories, the procurement and installation of laboratory equipment, and the rollout of a Management Information System (MIS) to strengthen coordination and water quality data management
Under the direct supervision of the Procurement Analyst - Analysis and Reporting and under the guidance from the Head of Support Services, the Procurement Associate ensures the provision of efficient and timely support services in procurement and contract administration to the different programmers in a relevant geographical area. He/she promotes a client-focused, quality and results- oriented approach and provides support to the relevant procurement personnel. Functional Responsibilities Transactional Procurement Support servicesAdministers a range of transactional-procurement support activities, ensuring compliance with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies, including the following:
- Incorporation of necessary steps to embed sustainability in the procurement process.
- Completeness of submissions to the Contract and Property Committees (CPCs).
- Completeness of documentation for preparation/processing of Purchase Orders, Contracts, LTAs or their Amendments.
- Provision of requested research/data on market supply by conducting routine market research to determine sources of supplies, using United Nations Global Market Place, and other external sources;
- Set-up/enhancement and maintenance of the local supplier database, ensuring regular update of data.
- Information databases, all procurement files and records updated and maintained.
- Status reports generated, as required.
- Availability of all supporting documents for audit and review purposes;
Procurement planning, requisitions and sourcing Administratively and technically supports the office’s planning, requisitions/procurement and sourcing support processes, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collaboration with projects personnel and Managers in the preparation of their procurement plan, awarding, administering and monitoring of all matters related to procurement for the given geographical area / project activity.
- Maintenance and update of procurement monitoring processes for projects and provision of feedback on purchase orders to requesting office;
- Provision of proposals to requesting entity on modes for providing goods, works and services, including procurement deadlines for each stage;
- Review of requisitions for completeness;
- Preparation of proper and complete specification for equipment and materials, Job Profiles and Statement of Works for the preparation of RFP, RFQ and ITB, ensuring clearance/approval by respective units of the requests.
- Constant liaison with vendors and consignee until safe delivery of goods is achieved.
- Drafting of letters, memoranda, faxes, email, etc.; monitoring of progress and liaison with vendors during the entire procurement cycle; investigation and resolution of post-order problems and of progress reports on procurement matters;
- Oral/written responses to queries from projects, clients, companies, etc. regarding procurement related matters
- Preparation of monthly reports on procurement matters;
- Liaison with the logistics unit or projects on receipt of goods, equipments and services in view of obtaining proper delivery report, RIR (Receipt and Inspection Report), or relevant certificates and that proper inventory is taken;
Bidding and tendering processesUndertakes or supervises technical support to bidding and tendering processes, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of shortlists of suitable contractors/suppliers for purchases of value over designated amounts for approval of designated officer;
- Preparation and issuance of EOI, RFQ, ITB, RFP or other tender documents as required, ensuring their conformity with UNOPS approved templates or seeking legal clearance in case of required adjustments;
- Together with the requesting programme/operations clients, support review and evaluation of bids or proposals received and preparation of analysis for less-complex, contract awards and for submission to the LCPC or other, statutory, designated body;
- Preparation of HQCPC, or designated body, submission together with the requesting programme/operations component;
- Organizing of LCPC (or desiganted, statutory body) meetings as may be required, and circulating at least 24 hours in advance documents for review;
- Maintenance of records of LCPC or designated, statutory body.
Contract administrationSupports efficient contract administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Follow-up signing of contracts by vendors;
- Obligation of funds in Enterprise system and obtaining of appropriate signatures for approval;
- Dissemination of contract advertisement and awards;
- Maintenance of contracts and filing system;
- Maintenance of databases/rosters of best suppliers, contractors and service providers, activities and statistics
- Facilitates the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development.
- Provides oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices.
Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Organizes, facilitates and/or delivers training and learning initiatives for personnel on procurement
- Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in procurement
- Collects feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- First University Degree in Procurement and/or Supply Chain Management, Law, Commerce, Business Administration, or related areas is desirable but not required.
- Relevant certification in procurement and supply chain management (CIPS or similar) is a distinct advantage.
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience in providing procurement support services in national and/or international public or corporate organizations.
- Supervisory experience of personnel in procurement support services.
- Experience in working with a range of stakeholders in developing countries.
- Some experience in UN system organizations is desirable.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and google workspace, G-suite applications is highly desirable
- Experience in handling web-based management systems is required.
- Experience in use of Enterprise systems is desirable
Language RequirementsProficiency in English language is essential Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Individual Contract Agreement-ICA
- Contract level: Local ICA Support (LICA -6)
- Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.